Day to Day Adventure: Menu Monday

Monday, March 15, 2010

Menu Monday

Over the years, I have discovered that I am much better in the kitchen with a plan and some preparation. I have said before that I plan our meals out a month at a time. There are many reasons for that but here are some of the most important ones.

1. Healthy meals--I balance our types of food more. No chicken 4x a week ;)
2. Fewer trips to the store--I check each Monday to see if we have on hand what is needed for the next week so I don't just run to the store for 1 or 2 things.
3. It saves my sanity at 5 o'clock--this is worth a million bucks!
4. Keeps us eating at home and saves a lot of $

So the plan this week is . . .

Monday

Pancakes & sausage, Beans & Rice, Fried Chicken Salad(freezer meal)

Tuesday

Yogurt & Strawberries, Farmer's Casserole, Swiss Steak(crockpot meal)

Wednesday

Oatmeal, Fried Egg Sandwiches, Enchiladas(freezer meal)

Thursday

Yogurt & Strawberries, Italian Hot Dish, Lemon Chicken(freezer meal)

Friday

Blueberry Muffins, Broccoli Potatoes, DATE Night!

Saturday

Cereal, Leftovers, 3 Bean Soup

Sunday

Oatmeal, Baked Orange Pork Chops, ?

I like that my advance prep work is laid out for me. When I post my meals here I make myself some notes on my Meal Planner(posted on the frig). Like tomorrow we are having Beans & Rice--well I think we have some frozen black beans but I am not sure. So I will check before bed. If I don't then I will start some black beans in the crock pot before bedtime. That way they are done by lunch. Saves some $ too--cause dry beans are WAY cheaper than canned ones--less sodium too. While I am in the freezer I will get out the steak for the Swiss Steak and check the canned goods for diced tomatoes. It just keeps our family life flowing better to have a meal plan.

Tonight we made pancakes for supper because not everyone was hungry for a big supper. I don't like making pancakes. Lots of dishes & mixing & everything. But last week I made up my own(healthy) dry mix & only had to add milk, egg & oil. That made it a breeze & something I was willing to do. The kids loved it! I loved it because it was easy. By the way I got the recipe from here if you are interested.

So what is your "cheater" trick to make a fast, easy & healthy meal?

See more menu plans at I'm an Organizing Junkie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, so please share!

Also, I delete comments that only ask for a follow back. The best way to get me to YOUR blog is to leave comment showing that you've read SOMETHING on my blog. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...