Day to Day Adventure: #1

Monday, February 8, 2010

#1


I had to put off my oldest until this week. It just got too crazy for me to do him justice so I will just jump in where I am at.

How do you describe someone who is growing and changing right before your very eyes? I seem to remember this little red hair imp who used to follow me around everywhere and talk my ears off. Now I have a quiet young man who is thoughtful about everything and is considering where he will be next year and what he will be doing.

At 18, Michael is a senior and will graduate in May. He has been taking college courses at Columbia College as a dual enrolled student. It is rather satisfying to know that this homeschooling thing works. Right now he's been accepted at 4 colleges/universities & now is waiting to hear back about financial aid packages. He is carefully weighing the positives and negatives so that he can follow God's leading on where his life will go next.

Somethings that Michael does well.


Play the piano--I don't want to think about how many years I have paid for lessons but well . . . it has paid off. Right now he accompanies his dad once a month at church for the song service. I was listening to him play on Sunday when he didn't know I was there & it just struck me how much I enjoy listening to him. When he moves out I know that is one thing I will miss the most.

Memorize scripture--he's been a Bible Quizzer for 8 years and is getting ready for Nationals right now. The question is will he be on the top team this year? Does he want to be? Regardless we will travel to Pittsburgh to watch him one more time.

Make friends--I wouldn't call Michael a social butterfly but he has been choosing to interact more with people his own age lately. He is really close to his quiz team(6 girls LOL) and they have been hanging out a lot. And NO there is no one special girl in his life right now.

Also he's gone to a couple of scout meetings as they have started back up and is enjoying interacting with the younger scouts. He wants to help and teach now that he has achieved Eagle rank even though it isn't required.

Also the other seniors/graduates have been interacting on a regular basis & it is good to see him want to join in even though he isn't close to any of them besides those he knows from quizzing.

There is something absolutely bizarre about your oldest being grown and ready to move out. I totally trust Michael to handle whatever comes his way in the years to come. He is responsible, trustworthy, and kind. Many of those Scout characteristics showing through. I know he feels slightly overwhelmed and unsure but that is natural. His trust in God & love for his family will always ground him in whatever circumstances arise. While the teenage years haven't been without their rocky moments I would say that I have had one of the best times watching him grow and become who he is. It is such a process and I know it isn't over yet . . . I dread and anticipate the coming changes.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! It is hard to believe he has grown so much! It doesn't seem that long ago that we met you guys! He looks just like Steve! I can see why you are so proud of him! God truly shines through your family. I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts, so please share!

Also, I delete comments that only ask for a follow back. The best way to get me to YOUR blog is to leave comment showing that you've read SOMETHING on my blog. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...