Day to Day Adventure: Brrrrr! Broccoli Cheddar Soup

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Brrrrr! Broccoli Cheddar Soup

imageWe are hunkered down.  Everyone is home and we are NOT going out until this blizzard stops blowing.  The wind is blowing like crazy but inside it is nice & warm.  I know my family & tonight they are going to be looking for some warm yummy food.  So I am baking bread & making soup for supper.  Well I have that planned & they girls will be making it.   Ha!

This Happy Honey Wheat Bread recipe is delicious! 

P1060287

Don’t feel guilty if you have to have a piece right out of the oven with lots of butter & cinnamon/sugar sprinkled on it.

Tonight’s soup will be . . .

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

4 cups diced broccoli

1/2 tsp basil

1/4 tsp thyme

1/4 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup chopped onion

4 cups chicken broth

1/3 cup cornstarch

2 cups instant dry milk

2-3 cups grated cheddar cheese

(Optional:  2 cups diced chicken and 1 cup dry brown rice)

Chop up broccoli & cook until tender in 2 cups of water.  Add spices & onion as the broccoli is cooking.  Mix  4 cups of broth, cornstarch and milk powder in a separate bowl—you can do this in your blender if you want.  Combine with broccoli and cook until sauce is thickened.  Add 2 cups of cheese & stir until melted.  Additional cheese can be added to the top of the soup or in individual bowls.

If you want a higher protein meal you can add about 2 cups of cooked diced chicken.  I also have a large portion of my family that claims this soup needs brown rice in it.  I cook the rice(1 cup) in 2 cups water while I am preparing the rest of the soup.  I add both chicken and rice to this recipe & it is perfect for a cold wintery day. 

What warm comfort food are you reaching for tonight?

image  image

6 comments:

  1. Hi Kim,
    It is 18 degrees here today so your soup looks really good to me. I would like to invite you to bring a dish to my Full Plate Thursday. Thank you for sharing and you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen--this looks like a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe, I love this stuff (the bread too :)! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  4. My family loves broccoli cheddar soup. I'm going to have to try this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kim,
    I am so happy that you were able to bring your wonderful Broccoli and Cheddar Soup over today. There is nothing like having your family all cozy and a great bowl of soup on a cold winters day. Thank you so much for bringing your soup to Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12/07/2011

    Boy dose this sound good as well as a lot of your other recipes,love you site.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts, so please share!

Also, I delete comments that only ask for a follow back. The best way to get me to YOUR blog is to leave comment showing that you've read SOMETHING on my blog. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...