Day to Day Adventure: Freezer Meal: Beef or Chicken Chimichangas

Monday, March 28, 2011

Freezer Meal: Beef or Chicken Chimichangas

I love to have a batch or two of these in the freezer for days I don’t have time to make lunch.  Everyone in our house LOVES these & I have a hard time keeping them on hand.  I need to make a double, triple, or quadruple batch in the near future!

Beef or Chicken Chimichangas

8 oz cooked chicken or beef(approx. 1 1/2 cups)

8 oz jar salsa

16 oz can refried beans

4 oz cheddar cheese, shredded(1 cup)

8 tortillas(8 or 9 inch)

Optional:  Brown rice, Sour cream

Cook meat (& shred chicken)  Cook & stir over medium heat:  meat, salsa, beans.   Stir in cheese. (Sometimes I add a bit of brown rice to this also) Warm tortillas.  Spoon 1/2 cup meat mix on each tortilla, fold in sides(top & bottom;  left & right)  Place in 9 x 13 pan.  Bake uncovered on 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until crisp and brown.

To freeze:  Freeze unbaked.  Wrap chimis individually in foil.  Bake at 350 degrees 50 minutes if frozen, or 30 minutes if thawed.  Remove foil & bake additional 10 minutes—until crisp & brown.

Two other ways we eat this.

1.  We often place these in a crockpot for 3-4 hours on low.  They aren’t crispy but nice and warm and ready to eat as soon as we are ready.

2.  My children claim that they don’t “need” the tortilla so sometimes I just make up the filling and serve it over rice with sour cream & chips.  A very fast lunch!

Need more freezer meals?  Look through my recipes in the menus above or check out my favorite freezer recipes.

image   imageimage

imageimage  image

9 comments:

  1. Sounds delish! Love the tortillaless idea too. Your kids sound like foodies;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah--they LOVE food. Especially things of the rice & beans variety(strange I know). I love it because it is fast, easy, & inexpensive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic idea...I need my freezer stocked with a few (okay, a lot) of these. Yum :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. These would be such a hit in my house. I love the variation too of using the filling. It would be good as a salad or a quesadilla. The teenagers love to be able to grab something out of the fridge. Great Tasty Tuesday idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum. Love the idea of freezing meals too.

    Here's my recipe: http://ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com/2011/03/rice-crispy-easter-eggs-to-make-with.html

    Love,
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of making a bunch of these and freezing them!!I need to add these to my freezer cooking day!Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kim,
    I am so happy to get this recipe that I can use for the freezer. I like to really get stocked up for the summer months because we have so much company. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4/12/2011

    okay I am going to try these. I have never frozen anything unbaked this will be a first for me! I like to have frozen meals that I can pop into the oven. This is perfect for me. I would love it if you linked it to my Workshop Wednesday Party @ goobyecityhellosuburbs

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts, so please share!

Also, I delete comments that only ask for a follow back. The best way to get me to YOUR blog is to leave comment showing that you've read SOMETHING on my blog. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...